AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2008 Coding Edge

AAPC: Back to School
    Seems the answers were easier than what I thought

Default Coding Edge Magazine (january-2008)question # 2

I also posted a "help" message not realizing that others were experiencing the same frustration.

I thought of looking in the CPT book for the answer to this question, but didn't because the statement at the bottom of the Coding Edge Test Your Knowledge states that the answers to "all" the questions are to be found in the magazine itself. Looking in CPT for an answer seems to me negates their statement.

The answers are on page 40 with the article titled "Pediatric Critical Care", it points out that critical care has the same definition no matter what the age of the patient is.

Default jan 2008

# 2 says name three CPT examples of vital organ system failure. Since CPT is the procedure, I am guessing on page 16, 33206, Insertion of heart pacemaker, 33207, 33208, (heart failure) Let me know if my thinking is off.

Duluth, Minnesota

The answer isn't in the January issue - if you look at February's issue, question two is the same -the answer is in the February issue. it's on page 40 in the Feb issue, and it lists 7 examples of it
    Last edited by dmaec; 06-23-2008 at 05:55 AM.

Thank you dmaec! I will pull the correct answer from Feb. I finally got so frustrated I grabbed codes for liver and heart transplants and hemodialysis for ESRD as those organs clearly aren't working...I found your answer by googling the web for 'cpt examples of vital organ system failure'. THANK YOU!!!

central nervous system failure,circulatory, shock, hepatic, renal, metabolic and respiratory failure.

Default jc coder

Quote Originally Posted by sisola View Post
    I think the answer is in the critical care services description in the CPT book. The first paragraph lists different organ system failures like: circulatory failure, shock and central nervous system failure. Hope this helps.

Sabrina Isola CCS-P, CPC
    I am hving the same problem, I don't think that is the answer becuase the questiion asks for CPT examples.

This question was very confusing because when we are asked for CPT examples we naturally think of acutal CPT codes! However, the correct answer seems to be renal failure, shock, hepatic failure, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12