Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Have you taken the CCS Exam?

1. Default
    Exam Training Packages
    @ Alta the CPC test was no joke! It has a 150 questions and you have 5hrs and 45 mins to finish it! It is mind boggling, but very much doable. Everyone is different, but if you have experience in E/M, CPT, ICD-9-CM, and HCPCS then you will be find. Preferably if you can outpatient code you are fine!

2. Default
    There's a lot of advice and information about the CCS exam on this forum http://www.indeed.com/forum/job/medical-coder.html

3. Default
    Hello,

I plan to start preparing for the CCS exam as well. The updated CCS exam prep.4th edition will be available for purchase 08-30-11 on Ahima's website. I also plan to take some of the e-learning courses Ahima offers like the Hospital Outpatient & Inpatient courses and any other courses I think may be beneficial. I have no Inpatient Coding experience. I have a 2005 CCS & CCS-P Study guide & although their both 6 years old, there's alot of information covered on both exams. Good luck to everyone thats planning to sit for the exam!

4. Question
    I'm interested as well but a little intimidated. Does anyone know of a preparation course being offered in the NYC area? What to expect on the exam? I'm nervous just considering.

I too have been studying for the CCS exam for about 5 months now. I have inpatient coding experience but not nearly enough to take the CCS just yet. I have been using the CCS exam prep book by Jennifer Garvin; it's more like a practice exam than a study guide though so if you aren't familiar with coding inpatient I’d recommend getting other books as well. I have taken the entire test in the book and almost done with the last one and my scores are getting higher and higher so I feel that I am just about ready to take the test. The part that worries me is the compliance questions and DRG questions. I am an excellent coder and can just about code any outpatient/inpatient chart but I cannot begin to tell you what DRG is higher or what procedure would make it higher. So that worries me but the good thing is that it's multiple choices so I have a better chance. What i'm really excited about and not sure if anyone knows this yet but they changed the CCS exam. In my opinion it seems easier. There will be no part 1 and part 2 exam; it will be awhole like CPC. They will only have enough blanks for the ICD codes and CPT codes whereas before there were I think 4 diagnosis and 10 procedures. That way you don't over code or under code. The first part is still multiple choice but they also have multiple select meaning you choose more than one, like A and C or A B and C. The time is still the same and the amount of questions has changed but there are like 10 questions that are randomly spread throughout the exam that don't count against you. Also for the inpatient charts you will only be counted one point off for every code you get wrong, before it was one point for not having the correct code and one point for having the wrong code. I am very excited about this new change but am afraid at the same time they might think they made it too easy and change the exam back again for 2012 so I decided to take mine around March of 2012. If you take it between now and Oct you will be mailed your scores because they haven't come out with the scoring system yet.
    Last edited by cpccoder2008; 08-18-2011 at 09:18 AM.

6. Default want to form an online CCS study group?
    since there's multiple coders wanting to study & pass the CCS in the near future is anyone out there willing to form an online study group together? this way we have accountability to each other and can learn from each other as we go along. maybe we can set up 1 or 2 times throughout the week to meet (via facebook, skype, etc)? we'd also need a syllabis type calendar that we can follow so we know what to work on. we would need a coach who is CCS credentialed. any takers? I'd be interested in being part of the study group if we can get one formed.

I would also be interested in a study group.

I'd love to be a part of a group, i hate the fact that AHIMA has no forum,, well i think it might but no one post on it like AAPC. I have so many questions regarding the CCS and not too many people from my area are certified so i can't ask them. Like the books, i have been highlighting and putting little notes and not sure if you can have that with AHIMA. Also if you become a member and purchase the test at the same time you get a discount, so if i purchase them both now how long do i have before i have to test ?? If i want to test in Feb 2012 should i just wait and become a member then ? Cause i think there is a waiting period after you become a member like 30 days before you can test.

9. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by cpccoder2008 View Post
    I'd love to be a part of a group, i hate the fact that AHIMA has no forum,, well i think it might but no one post on it like AAPC. I have so many questions regarding the CCS and not too many people from my area are certified so i can't ask them. Like the books, i have been highlighting and putting little notes and not sure if you can have that with AHIMA. Also if you become a member and purchase the test at the same time you get a discount, so if i purchase them both now how long do i have before i have to test ?? If i want to test in Feb 2012 should i just wait and become a member then ? Cause i think there is a waiting period after you become a member like 30 days before you can test.
    Have you read the candidate guide? I read through the entire thing a few days ago and it answered a lot of questions.

http://www.ahima.org/downloads/pdfs/...date_Guide.pdf

I also read up on the new format, which in some ways sounds a little easier than the old way....
    Last edited by cordelia; 08-23-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kimberlina25 View Post
    Have you read the candidate guide? I read through the entire thing a few days ago and it answered a lot of questions.

http://www.ahima.org/downloads/pdfs/...date_Guide.pdf

I also read up on the new format, which in some ways sounds a little easier than the old way....

I am looking to take the CCS around the same time as you, if you would like to study together let me know
    Sure that sounds great, not sure how we would study though cause i'm sure we're from different area's.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast