Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Have you taken the CCS Exam?

Talking
    Medical Coding Books
    Quote Originally Posted by mkm1517 View Post
    since there's multiple coders wanting to study & pass the CCS in the near future is anyone out there willing to form an online study group together? this way we have accountability to each other and can learn from each other as we go along. maybe we can set up 1 or 2 times throughout the week to meet (via facebook, skype, etc)? we'd also need a syllabis type calendar that we can follow so we know what to work on. we would need a coach who is CCS credentialed. any takers? I'd be interested in being part of the study group if we can get one formed.

That sounds great. I'm not familiar with skype or anything like that so i wouldn't be able to set that part up but i think facebook would be great. You can open a page called "Future CCS" or something like that and we could invite people from AAPC and our personal facebook page to join in. I'm sure you could find a few people out there who are CCS and CPC certified to help us further our career. When ( because i do believe i will pass ) i become CCS certified i wouldn't mind posting about my expirence and what area's i had trouble in.

AHIMA actually has a forum for those who are studying to take the CCS Exam. I would suggest you inquire with AHIMA about membership to access the forum.

I wish all of you the best of luck on the CCS Exam.
    Dawson Ballard, Jr., CPC, CEMC, CPMA, CCS-P, CPC-P, CRHC, AAPC Fellow
    Coder

Quote Originally Posted by dballard2004 View Post
    AHIMA actually has a forum for those who are studying to take the CCS Exam. I would suggest you inquire with AHIMA about membership to access the forum.

I wish all of you the best of luck on the CCS Exam.
    Yes it does have a forum but it's for members only. I plan on registering for the test and becoming a member at the same time for the discount but once i do that i will be mailed an approval letter telling me if i qualify to take the CCS and then have four months to take it. So i would hate to become a member now just for the forum knowing that i'm not ready to test yet but i do plan on becoming a member in the next two months because i was searching last night for the testing dates in my area and it would not let me without my approval code.

4. Default Study Group
    I'm setting up a facebook group titled "CCS Study Group." Feel free to join the group to post questions and share your exam prep experiences.

The more info we share with each other the more successful we will be. The following resources are highly recommended from CCS credentialed coders in helping to prepare for the exam:
    - Professional Review Guide
    - Clinical Coding Workout
    - CCS Review from AHIMA

Can't wait to meet you on facebook!
    Melissa Hoff

5. Default
    Hi Melissa, when is the study group gathering?

6. Default online study group
    Since we're all in different time zones, I thought it might be easiest to do "homework" on our own (ie: working through the prep guides) and then "meet" on facebook to post questions, comments, etc. You would post whenever you had time - maybe we could set up a specific day to have our questions posted and then others can answer, comment as they have time. We're going to use the calendar printed in the Professional Review Guide as our guide for what we should be working on. Once we go through the PRG we'll supplement with the Coding Clinic Workout for extra work with looking codes up in the coding books.

If anyone has ideas that would work better, please voice them. This is a work in progress so we may have to tweak it as we go along.

Count me in, I want to join your CCS study group!
    I do not recommend buying the 2011 Clinical Coding Workout. AHIMA used the same exercises from previous editions without updating the answers with the new codes. For example, in case 5.9 they still used the CPT Cardiac Cath. codes that have been discontinued (93510, 93543, 93545, 93555 and 93556). On that note, Dr. David Dunn did a great job explaining the Cardiac Cath Changes in the March 2011 issue of the Coding Edge. It prepared me well for my CPC-H exam.

I would be wary of the Professional Review Guide as well since the CCA Professional Review Guide and CCS Professional Review Guide are identical but with different covers.

When shopping for 2011 books and workshops make sure the new test format is stressed in the material. I wonder if some materials were published before it was known that the test format would be changed?

I would only use the new AHIMA CCS Review Guide and study AHA Coding Clinic, ICD-9-CM and CPT Guidelines and other resources recommended in the review guide. Some of the Coding Edge articles of updated codes may also be useful.
    Last edited by Aleifer; 08-24-2011 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mkm1517 View Post
    I'm setting up a facebook group titled "CCS Study Group." Feel free to join the group to post questions and share your exam prep experiences.

The more info we share with each other the more successful we will be. The following resources are highly recommended from CCS credentialed coders in helping to prepare for the exam:
    - Professional Review Guide
    - Clinical Coding Workout
    - CCS Review from AHIMA

Can't wait to meet you on facebook!
    Melissa Hoff
    Sounds great, just post the link once it's been set up.

I have been studying with the CCS exam prep by Jennifer Garvin and have finished all the exams so i'm looking into other books that might help. I have read about Coding Clinic workout and the PRG CCS but will price them when i get home. Can anyone tell me what material it covers ? Is it inpatient senario's or everything like the CCS exam prep ? After taking the exams i have the most trouble in Data Quality and Management and Information and Communication Technolgies

9. Default link
    Here is the link for the study group facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...1868417545232/

10. Default
    Hello,

Has anyone used Gatlin education CCS Prep course to prepare for the CCS exam? I have read reviews by some who have taken the course, but I was just wondering has anyone else had any experiences with their CCS prep course. This is the link to the website. http://www.gatlineducation.com/advan...talcoding.html

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast