Placenta Pathology

Default Placenta Pathology
    Medical Coding Books
    I am new to Pathology coding and need advice. We frequently see charges for pathology of the placenta after delivery, I have been using Z37.0 but I am getting denials from the insurance companies? What else do I need to code? Thank you!

You need to read the pathology report and code the status of the placenta from that. If there is no problems at all then you use the appropriate deliver code for either normal vaginal or c-section. Be sure to use the Z code for the gestational age. If you post a sample path report I can try to assist.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

I, myself, work for pathology and have done their coding for the last 19 years and when we get the placentas here, we use the codes

O43.90 (unspecified placental disorder, unspecified trimester)
    O43.91 (unspecified placental disorder, first trimester)
    O43.92 (unspecified placental disorder, second trimester)
    O43.93 (unspecified placental disorder, third trimester)

We don't ever get denied using these codes (of course, only one of them, it's based on the trimester so whatever trimester they state, that's what you use unless it's not stated and that's where you'll use the unspecified). That's the only code that we use for the placentas here. To be honest, the majority of placentas we get here rarely have pathology that we can code so that's why we just go ahead and use one of these 4 codes

I hope this helps!!
    Last edited by Shekendan; 04-10-2018 at 10:40 AM.

why would you use a code for unspecified disorder if no disorder is documented? If the placenta has no documented abnormalities you just use the appropriate delivery code, O80 or O82. You never use a code for a disorder specified or unspecified unless documented. I am not sure what you mean when you say they rarely have pathology you can code. Do you mean they are normal or that a problem was documented and you cannot find a specific code for it. I am concerned when you state those are the only 4 codes you use for placentas, That should never be the case.
    Last edited by mitchellde; 04-10-2018 at 11:03 AM.

Default Thanks!
    Thank you all for your replys! I have used your advice and I am waiting to see the outcome of my new claims

6. Default Update on Placenta Pathology
    Quote Originally Posted by slgarland View Post
    Thank you all for your replys! I have used your advice and I am waiting to see the outcome of my new claims
    Hello! I learn so much from the AAPC forum and I'm interested to know if there's an update on this. I need help with pathologic DX coding as well.

Thank you in advance

what are you needing help with I have coded path for several years