AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Total Contact Cast

Default Total Contact Cast

AAPC: Back to School
    We are billing for the application of the cast (29445) and the casting supplies
    (Q4038) but I was wondering if there is a HCPCS code to bill for the actual boot that the cast sits in. Has anyone dealt with this before?

I just spoke to Derma Science, the supplier of our total contact casting. They have a Reimbursement Hotline, 800-474-9511. I called this morning because we had the same question. The answer isn't what I had hoped. I was told that the reimbursement for the boot is in the Q code. I explained that reimbursement doesn't nearly cover the cost of the $68 boot. We are going to have to review this problem.
    Their website clearly states that a physician's office codes: 29445 and Q4038

Springfield, Mo

Picking up a really old thread here, just in case anyone else is searching for this information. Our clinic just started applying these and I called TCCez for a hcpcs code for the boot. Here is what they told me in and email.
    ? Billing for Cast Boots:
    The boot would be coded as HCPCS code L3260 Surgical Boot. If purchased separately, and if covered by private insurance, a clinic/physician could only bill for the boot if the hospital/office is an established durable medical equipment (DME) provider. Derma Sciences does not recommend or support billing the L codes.

Is anyone billing for the boots? If so, how is that going?

Similar Threads

1. total contact cast
    By solocoder in forum Podiatry
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2015, 12:50 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-27-2012, 10:28 AM
  3. Total remove knee spacer insert total knee components
    By Mary Baierl in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 06:59 AM
  4. Replies: 1