AAPC - Back to school

Thread: E/M Billing Sequence

Default E/M Billing Sequence

AAPC: Back to School
    Does anybody have any documentation that states when you bill out an office visit with a knee injection, you have to list the E/M code first regardless of the RVU amounts? We have always billed in the order of highest RVU's down to lowest RVU's and now we are told that the E/M gets billed first, no matter what.

Fayetteville, NC

I would ask first, who is telling you this?

In my experience, procedures and E/M charges are considered separately, so whether it is first or last on the claim really does not matter. I have seen situations where the E/M was billed on a completely different claim, and on the same claim, in every number of positions like first, middle, last- really I have never seen a difference.

As far as documentation, I don't know of any- this is just my own experience. How about asking this person to show YOU documentation stating to always bill the E/M code first. I have never heard of that officially- it sounds like it may be this person's personal preference.

Similar Threads

1. Diabetes sequence?
    By NJcoder in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-05-2013, 01:05 PM
  2. sequence
    By sbarrila in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-31-2011, 12:14 AM
  3. Dx sequence help
    By Trendale in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 1