Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2020 location?

Default 2020 location?
    Medical Coding Books
    Has the location of Healthcon in 2020 been announced yet? I know they have been alternating between Las Vegas and Orlando, but I am hoping that they choose a new city..

I heard a rumor it was Orlando again, but I can't swear to it. Wouldn't be surprised, though, since we are growing and there are not many affordable venues that can acommodate us. Plus who doesn't love Disney?
    Pam Brooks, MHA, COC, PCS, CPC, AAPC Fellow
    Coding Manager
    Wentworth-Douglass Hospital
    Dover, NH 03820

If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney

Thank you! I love Disney, but it is definitely pricey!!!!

4. Default 2020 National Conference
    Maybe it would be nice to see the AAPC to take a poll to see how many members would like to go back to Orlando, Fla.
    Betty Hougasian, CPC

Default Poll of members for HealthCon
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hougasian View Post
    Maybe it would be nice to see the AAPC to take a poll to see how many members would like to go back to Orlando, Fla.
    Betty Hougasian, CPC
    I would love to see a poll of how many members would like to go back to Orlando or Vegas or another city.

6. Default National Conference
    I was just at the Regional Conference in DC. I spoke with several people about the locations of the National Conferences and many people said that they are not attending the National Conferences because they are tired of going to Orlando & Vegas. Personally I don't care for the Coronado Resort. Would be nice to go somewhere different.

There had been some discussion about a survey, in fact, if I remember correctly I did get one a couple of years ago. I know that AAPC used that information to help plan regional conferences (which are seeing higher and higher attendance), but AAPC does need to have a strong Local Chapter presence in order to consider a regional.

I believe that with the volume of attendees (2500+) at HealthCon, AAPC is limited to the number of venues nationwide that will accommodate us all. Sure, most cities have conference or expo centers, but they are often able to accommodate that many people only in a stadium setting....not in multiple break out rooms with a dining room. And AAPC has to book many, many years in advance to make sure that they have adequate space. Hotels often will offer discounts (which are transferred to attendees) if an organization books for multiple years, so that's always a factor. A typical overnight stay at the Coronado Springs Resort is nearly $300 a night, so we're getting a deal. Another thing that they look at is travel....if you have to endure two or three airport transfers to get somewhere, that alone is prohibitive, and much more expensive. They do try to alternate between east and west coast. AAPC also looks at the cost of the hotels. Boston for example (although there's an international airport, and it's a great pedestrian city), will cost you $400 a night. Think Disney is expensive? Food, after-hours attractions and climate are also a factor. Who wants to be in Milwaukee in March??? Not me.

So although you might find Disney and Vegas to be redundant, HealthCon is always fresh, interesting, and by far the best run conference I've ever attended.

I'd like to make a very important point.....the AAPC Conference team and the Education Committee really do pay attention to the surveys that are sent around after HealthCon. But the response is dismally small. If you want to see changes, you have to speak up by filling out the survey and commenting on each of the topics. This Forum is not the venue for that.
    Pam Brooks, MHA, COC, PCS, CPC, AAPC Fellow
    Coding Manager
    Wentworth-Douglass Hospital
    Dover, NH 03820

If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney

I am sure that the regionals are getting better attendance because many people have to foot the cost themselves - or at least a significant portion of the costs. I fall into that category - haven't gone to a national for that reason - Vegas or Orlando won't work. The recent regional in NJ was good. I understand the lack of national meetings here in the Northeast because of costs, especially compared to Vegas, but it does affect many.

And count me as one who isn't attracted to Disney - doesn't swing my vote one way or the other.

Thanks,
    Lance

Lance Smith, MPA, COC, CPMA, CEMC, RHIT, CCS-P, CHC, CHPC

Director, Health Information Management
    HealthAlliance of the Hudson Valley
    Kingston, NY

Default I agree w/ Pam
    I agree w/ Pam that it is hard to find locations to accommodate everyone and the format at Healthcon. I also agree that more people need to complete the survey at the end of the conference. We always hear of people complaining or asking for another venue, but they don't speak up when their voice can be counted. AAPC has sent a couple surveys over the last several years asking for suggestions on where to hold Healthcon or regional conferences. They do listen and try to accommodate members whenever possible, but first you need to speak by talking to a member of the Healthcon committee or completing the survey. I hope to see as many as possible in Las Vegas for Healthcon 2019! As Pam said, the City may get old, but at least the topics are new and engaging!
    Marianne Durling MHA, RHIA, CDIP, CCS, CPC, CPCO, CIC
    Associate Compliance Officer
    AAPC NAB Member 2011-2013
    Roxboro NC Chapter President 2011-2013 & 2015

10. Default Healthcon 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by greatbiller View Post
    Has the location of Healthcon in 2020 been announced yet? I know they have been alternating between Las Vegas and Orlando, but I am hoping that they choose a new city..
    As most have to foot the cost of this event in some way, shape or form. Location is everything! And while I understand the comment about "not wanting to be in Milwaukee in March" - this years conference is at the end of April, first part of May!

Weather is a factor - but maybe "suitability" would be a better solution. I mean, it would be great to go to Orlando - but at that expense, I would also be willing to go to like Kentucky, Texas, Atlanta, Colorado, or Illinois where I may not be able to go to something like Disney - but I could shop at an abundance of stores, and have a huge selection of places to eat.

You go because of the conference, not necessarily all of the attractions surrounding the conference. I know that while I would love to go to Disney, if I am traveling for a conference...I simply don't have the time to venture out on that type of excursion unless I am paying for additional days of stay. And it would be something I'd want my family to enjoy as well, so now I'm looking at a huge expense to travel with family and they get to go have fun while I am stuck in conference venue earning CEU's!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast