I hope this helps. At our facility the Aranesp will only get paid if certain rules apply. The medication is very expensive and I beleive these came from CMS.
In order to get paid you must have one of these anemia codes:
Anemia of chronic kidney disease 285.21
Chronic kidney disease must be Stage 3,4,5 addition code and must be coded.If mentioned in the chart the pt is on chronic dialysis ICD-9 assumes this to be ESRD per the index.
anemia due to chemo 284.89
The anemia codes must be the primary diagnosis
Hope this helps
Sharon Ruiz RHIT, CPC, CCS-P
President Elect MBS Chapter
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join