Knee arthrscopy

Default Knee arthrscopy
    Medical Coding Books
    Doctor did a microfracture in the medial compartment, chondroplasty in the patellofemoral compartment, 7mm loose body removal from separate portal and a 3 compartment synovectomy.

CAn 29875 be coded for the lateral compartment synovectomy? This is not a Medicare patient. Thanks for your input.

Default knee scope
    there are only 3 compartments that are billable. medial, lateral, and patella, the microfacture if it it was muliple drillings it is 29879

3. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by coderguy1939 View Post
    Doctor did a microfracture in the medial compartment, chondroplasty in the patellofemoral compartment, 7mm loose body removal from separate portal and a 3 compartment synovectomy.

CAn 29875 be coded for the lateral compartment synovectomy? This is not a Medicare patient. Thanks for your input.
    I would say yes, 29879 for microfracture in medial, and 29875-59 for lateral synovectomy because of the 2 separate compartments. 29877 for chondroplasty is not billable with 29879 & 29875 per CCI edits.

This is not a Medicare patient so CCI edits may not apply. AAOS and CPT edits allow for coding 29877 with 29879 if they are performed in separate compartments. My question is regarding 29875 with 29877. As previously indicated, the doctor performed 29879 in the medial compartment, 29877 in the patellofemoral compartment and stated that he had done a 3 compartment synovectomy. My question is, can 29875 be coded for the lateral compartment?

5. Default
    I would say yes. It's in a separate compartment.

I agree, yes, with modifier 59 as it was a separate portal and a separate compartment.
    AWest

yes David I would do the 29875 and the other two codes as well with appropriate modifiers (all three compartments seem to be identified).

Mary, CPC, COSC