If the margins of the wound didn't change, look to 97597-97598 for selective debridement. Despite a CPT Assistant article from a while back (stating these codes were created for non-physicians), our Medicare carrier in WI has issued a statement that they consider it appropriate for physicians to report 97597-97598. Commercial carriers haven't had a problem with it, either.
If the wound margins were altered, codes 11040-11044 would apply. Keep in mind that coding for debridement depends on the level removed. (e.g. 11042--debridement of skin & subcutaneous tissue reports procedure in which both skin & subcutaneous tissue were removed).
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join