Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

CPC-A looking for employment opportunities/advise

Medical Coding Books
    For those who completed the course through AAPC or a college prior to testing (counts as one year), you should consider buying/taking practicode (counts as second year) to remove your A status. It should be easier to obtain at least an interview without the A status.

I'm in the same boat. Passed the RHIT and CPC exams in late 2016 and it seems like places won't even consider my application without any experience. I'm now the VP of my Local Chapter and I'm still trying to get a coding job.... I'm checking to see if my HIT degree included a full 80 hours of coding education to take one year off and I'm about to drop the $$$ on Practicode to take care of another year so maybe I'll be considered for something. Right now I'm a receptionist at an outpatient clinic but have very little contact with the coding department here. I would love to job shadow but most of the coders work remotely.

I knew it would be hard as a newbie but no clue it would feel quite this impossible!! I mean WOW!!

But I REFUSE TO QUIT!!!

I've been told by my coding mentor that Risk Adjustment or HCC Coding jobs may be a good option for a newer coder since it ONLY deals with ICD-10-CM codes (no CPT or PCS). Places like GeBBS, Aviacode, Altegra Health (changed their name I think). There's a list of companies more likely to give new coders a chance on the Facebook page for the JOBS FOR AMERICAN MEDICAL CODERS group.

Good Luck!!

In my experience, I have noticed that when it comes to getting a job, it's all about timing and networking (assuming you qualify for the position. Even if you don't, still try). There was a time where I would apply to jobs left and right, and would get nowhere. I even considered entry level jobs (which are needed, but I was overqualified at the time), and applied for those as I was getting more and more desperate. Still couldn't get anything, but I kept sending my applications out like it was never going out of style! I did land an interview and still didn't get hired. Then several months later, another job opened up which fit more my work profile and I applied. Interviewed great and was hired. Although this job was all about compliance, the company required me to become a CPC. Studied, took and passed the exam and is currently working to get the -A removed. I could have done this differently, but I persisted and landed a good job in a field I now love even more.

The point I'm trying to make here is, don't you quit trying! I can go on, and on about how my initial career has taken twists and turns (although stayed within healthcare), however I've been able to slowly build on each step I've taken. From Registration, to Healthplans, to Compliance, and to Medical Coding; each step has not been wasted but fortified my career and expanded my options. If you're not getting that coding job right off the bat and you're either a freshly minted CPC-A, or just having a heck of a time landing a job; strongly consider taking a smaller step down and start at the Front Desk, Billing, Registration, Credentialing, or somewhere in the Revenue Cycle field. You'll get to Coding soon enough and you'll be glad you did in the end.

Once you're in an organization, networking becomes SO MUCH EASIER! Make sure you keep your coding goal in mind and try to get your name across the Coding Manager/Director/etc. so he/she will remember you once you get to apply.

Good luck!
    "Without hard work, nothing grows but weeds"
    -Gordon B. Hinckley

I was very fortunate (I have a lot of pharmacy experience and I am a Certified Pharmacy Technician as well), but this is what I did:

I took the course and passed the exam on March 23rd 2018.

I finished practicode on July 11, 2018 (thus removing my A).

I started slamming places that I found on Indeed, Ziprecruiter, Monster, Career Builders, Glassdoor, and Linkedin with my resume. I do not recommend Mommy Jobs online, since they have very few actual coding related jobs for the $85.00 they charge. I put out over 100 resumes in just a few weeks. My full-time job was finding a job.

I also posted my resume on AAPC, with an email and a phone number (this is the task that got me my job).

I was hired on August 3rd, 2018 for a full-time, remote position with a Revenue Cycle company that reviews other coder's work for both errors and areas where revenue can be increased.

Good luck and do not give up!! It is all worth it in the end.
    Last edited by Mayzoo; 09-12-2018 at 06:40 PM.

5. Smile Advice for first time coding jobs (CPC-a)
    Hello All,

M recomendation if you are looking for a first time job.Try going through an temp agency on a contract to hire postion.They are usually more understanding because they are looking to fill postions immediately.So sign up with your local temp agency in the area and tell them what you are looking for and they will do all the work for you with making you seem like the best candiate.You still have to interview but atleast you have someone doing the leg work.

also even when postions say CPC with 1-2 years experience still apply you never know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12