AAPC - Back to school

Thread: At home coding positions

Smile At home coding positions

AAPC: Back to School
    Does anyone know of any companies/employers that will allow you to code from home? I currently work in a pediatric endocrinology practice and have medical experience. I am also finishing my a.s. Science degree (medical billing/coding) and just sat for the cpc exam a few days ago so i am currently waiting on the results of the exam but would love to work from home if possible. If anyone has any valuable information please be of help to me. Thanks

Milwaukee WI

Default Start where you work

I'm assuming you are already coding for the practice -

One of the first things I'd do if I were in your position would be to start with my current employer. You've already proven your abilities. They know your work history, dependability, ethics, etc. You may have to invest in software that is password protected (or the practice may invest in it for you) for HIPAA compliance.

But most employers would rather be a bit more flexible in order to keep a valued employee than risk losing that person and have to find and train someone new.

Bear in mind that your reasons why your working from home is a good idea must be valuable to the practice. Having young children at home is NOT a compelling business reason.

Good Luck.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

I code from home and I have a job on site. I have worked at my current position for 12 years and working from home was out of the question. I brought it up hundreds of times and my boss kept saying that "if I let you do it then everyone will wanta do it" or "if i can't do it then you can't do it". After that bs I took it upon myself to look around and finally found a company that I could work part time for and still keep my day job. My long term goal would be to work from home permanently but it is an on going process. Keep at it. Go to your chapter meetings and network.

Thanks for the info
    Shalonda L. Mustapher, CPC
    Orlando, FL

Louisville, KY

Default Coding at Home Opportunity

I received a call yesterday from a Recruiter who was looking for people to code at home. I told him that I have a coding position but would pass the information along to others. He did tell me the job requires 40 hours, must have CPC,
    CCS, RHIT or RHIA and pays $18.00 an hour. Call..

Aaron Walters
    Aerotek, Inc.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.