The doc calls it a thorocostomy so I would give him the benefit of the doubt and code it:
32551 (thoracostomy) this usually involves use of a trocar, not a needle.
75898 (includes u/s guidance)
I would not code both codes as there were not two procedures performed. The tube placement is a continuation of the procedure being performed, not a separate procedure.
The other possible code(s) scenario is
32422 (thoracentesis with tube) this usually involves a needle
I hope this helps.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join