What next CPB?

1. Default What next CPB?
    New Call-to-action
    This may not be the appropriate place to ask this but I am to take my supposed to take the CPB exam this Saturday. I took the online course and am currently follow up biller. I'm just not sure what to expect on this exam. I am CPC certified and didn't know what next step I should take in order to advance my career. I would like to know about my options. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Also what is the best book for reimbursement management? Thank you Shilpa Jones

2. Default
    Medical Billing
    Hi Shilpa,

I was in your exact shoes a year ago. While working as a biller, I obtained my CPC and CPB. After a year of billing, I began to apply to any open coding position in my city. After 3 months, I landed a really great coding position.

Your billing experience is valuable. Not only does it expose you to CPT and ICD-10 codes, but also claim forms and payer specific policies. Many coders don't have billing experience and it leaves gaps in their applicable knowledge. If you want to be a coder, start approaching your job search like a job itself. Use your free time to scour for positions, polish your resume, network, etc. Play up your billing experience as it translates really well into a coding position. If you do this, I feel it is only a matter of time before you land a coding job.

Jay Mominee CPC, CPB, CPMA, CEMC