New to Anesthesia have a couple questions

Default New to Anesthesia have a couple questions
    New Call-to-action
    Question 1) I found a few articles that say P1 to P5 modifiers are not recognized by Medicare. Is this true? is there a CMS article to back this up?

Question 2) This practice is doing Anesthesia billing for Gastro only, when a patient comes in for a colonoscopy or EGD is it necessary to code all non procedure related dx codes for example: Diabetes, Hypertension, Obesity

I don't think these should be added as they have nothing to do with the procedure performed.

True, Medicare does not recognize the P1 to P5 modifiers.

As for the additional dx codes, this could be a requirement by the payor or LCD for instance depending on the type of anesthesia technique, a secondary dx needs to be indicated to support the technique.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by lmathews; 10-25-2018 at 06:35 AM.

I agree with this.

Include the physical status qualifying diagnoses even when you cannot capture the physical status P1-P5 modifiers, i.e. Medicare.

Just to clarify on a point, you need to prove why the patient needed this level of anesthesia care vs. moderate sedation.

~Melissa, CPC

Similar Threads

1. Took the CRC and am wondering about a couple questions...
    By LMNemeth330 in forum Risk Adjustment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2018, 09:27 AM
  2. 2 questions - anesthesia for cysto
    By boozaarn in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2014, 02:43 AM
  3. couple of questions, need help!!
    By cdr4life in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-10-2013, 07:04 AM
  4. Replies: 10