Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CPC for every Practice???

Default CPC for every Practice???
    Medical Coding Books
    I am certified through the National Healthcareer Association. I am a member of the AAPC, and will be taking the exam in June. Can anyone tell me when that law goes into effect that says there has to be a Certified coder in every practice? And, do you have to be certified through the AAPC or can you be certified through the NHA?

Default law
    I haven't heard this, where did you get this information? Would like to read up on this.

3. Default
    I also had not heard this before and would like to research this further.

I graduated in Nov of 08, and one of the Instructers told us that it would soon be required by law that every practice have a certified coder. I'm assuming she knows what she is talking about; mabe not.

I thought that was the case for years already!? It was my understanding that if the facility is a Medicare provider then they must have at least one certified coder in their coding department (if they have one) or where-ever their coding is being done.
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

I think it's mandatory for facilities - but not physician practices yet.

But I also know that Medicare processors, or contractors, (supposively) require certified coders.

I got an e-mail from one of the Officials at the AAPC and He said it was not a law. I have noticed though, that potential employers want certified coders.
    Thanks for the input.

Default cpc
    As I said, I haven't heard of it being a law, but our facility does require us to be certified within a year of employment. Not by law, but by their own request. I will have our compliance department check on this and see what they can find out. Interesting concept though!!!

Exclamation About law for certification
    The Medicare Modernization Act that went into effect last year states -strongly urges all coders doing Medicare/Medicaid coding/billing be either AAPC or AHIMA certified. If you email me I can send a copy of the act.
    Judy Houston, CPC, CPT
    hstnjdth@yahoo.com

Would like to see the act. My email is rlampert@crossroads-lake.org.
    Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast