Correct APC coding

1. Default Correct APC coding
    New Call-to-action
    When pricing for a procedure with multiple APC codes, do you add them all together or does Medicare only pay for the highest one?

Example: SCS implant 63685 (APC 5464) and 63650 (APC 5462)

You would code 63650, 63685-51, APC 5462 and APC 5464, right? or just 5464

Thanks, Liz

Both of these APCs are status J1 which is a comprehensive rate. The reimbursement for the case will be the rate for the highest of the two; in this example it will be the rate for APC 5464 if both codes are submitted. But APC payments are solely a methodology for reimbursement and should not have any bearing on how you code for services - the codes submitted should be based on the procedures that were documented, not based on how Medicare is going to calculate their payment. The fact that 63650 does not get a separate or additional payment does not mean that it should be omitted from the claim. If both codes were performed, then both need to be reported.
    Last edited by thomas7331; 10-29-2018 at 03:26 PM.
    Thomas Field, CPC, CEMC

3. Default SCS coding
    Thanks for your help. That's what I thought. Can you tell me if I was correct in adding the modifier 51. Should it be added to 63650 or 63085? With a 2 lead SCS, I'm thinking it should be 63650, 63650-59 and 63685-51.

Similar Threads

1. Correct Coding
    By girlsrulekrk@gmail.com in forum Compliance General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-20-2017, 01:53 PM
  2. Physician refusal to correct coding error in record-I found a coding
    By lsmft in forum Compliance General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-20-2015, 11:04 AM
  3. Help-New correct coding for LHC????
    By medicode3 in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 30