Open SLAP repair

1. Default Open SLAP repair
    New Call-to-action
    Is there a CPT for the open repair or is it unlisted?

Thank you!

Default Look at 23450

3. Default
    I was looking at that along with 23455 but in the description for 23450, it says for arthroscopic refer to 29806; the 23455 does not go back to a scope code......when looking at 29807 (these are all in the Coding Companion), it doesn't say anything about a code for an open type. Am I overthinking it?

Default I think you are
    I think you are over-thinking it. You need to understand something though. When Dr. William Beach, MD created the codes for the shoulder he wanted to divide the shoulder between the "upper" and the "lower". So 29807 is above the 3-9 position. Anything below is 29806 such as a Bankart. But these are arthroscopic codes.

Code 23450 describes an "anterior" repair, which is what you are looking for.

Another thing to watch out for is that while Dr. Beach divided the shoulder capsule into an upper and lower, most physicians divide it 'anterior" or 'posterior". So the best thing you can do is to have the surgeon indicate the clock time positions of the anchors, that way you know which code to select.

Similar Threads

1. SLAP repair with Bankart Repair
    By Desperate Denise in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2010, 06:28 PM
  2. Slap repair
    By elenax in forum Outpatient Facilities
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 01:21 PM
  3. Scope SLAP repair with open NEER cap shift
    By kdahlen in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 0