PT/OT units

Default PT/OT units
    New Call-to-action
    Our physical and occupational therapists do their own coding, but I review denials. Most of the information I can find limits the number of units by the total time. They have been billing any services performed for at least 8 minutes. So for example they did 3 different services for 8 minutes each. Under CMS rules that is 24 minutes so we can only bill 2 total units. My providers are billing 3 units unless it is a Medicare/Medicaid/federal plan. When I asked about it, I was given this link: https://newgradphysicaltherapy.com/8...-losing-money/

I asked around and none of the coders with therapy experience were familiar with the Substantial Portion Methodology (SPM). I can only find references that come back to this one source/author. It appears to be the way things were calculated before the 8-minute rule came about, but this article is from 2017 and says it can be used with any plan that hasn't adopted the CMS rule from 2000.

Thoughts?

2. Default sistersarah
    I am currently in the same boat. I code the Professional side in a hospital setting and we acquired a new PT/OT group that utilizes SPM for calculating units for each therapy procedure. I researched APTA and could not find anything, asked my OHS PT/OT group and they too had never heard of this but these new therapist swore by it. I have requested documentation and specific guidelines that they have to support this and I'm currently waiting for that, this is helpful and I will follow-up here if I have anything to add.

Similar Threads

1. DME Units
    By hawaii50007@gmail.com in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-18-2017, 06:17 PM
  2. How many units PLEASE?
    By gr8gal61 in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2015, 09:31 AM
  3. How many units?
    By coders_rock! in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 0