I agree with you on this 100%. We've also had this discussion. Our MA's/ Nurses do document the " reason for visit" and the provider documents the CC and does the HPI section.
It surprises me ( at times ) how a patient will tell the MA/nurse the reason for the visit and it differs from what they actually tell the provider! I've seen it plenty of times where the MA will go in and ask the patient why they are here/problem and they tell the dr the "real reason" why they are here, not sure if they maybe embarrassed or what but I just thought I'd add my 2 cents on this one.
With CMS stating what the MA or ancillary staff can document tells me that whatever isn't listed there can't be documented by the ancillary staff/MA. IF it were it would be stated ( just my opinion).
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join