Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Feeling sad

Medical Coding Books
    Quote Originally Posted by doctordrakeramoray View Post
    Iím by no means implying any shady or corrupt behavior. Iím saying that there seems to be an abundance of insecurity and/or incompetence amongst coding supervisors, or at the very least there is a major systemic issue with the hiring process. There are people who need someoneís list of accomplishments spelled out in front of them because theyíre not capable of accurately judging a personís intelligence, skill set, or potential via face to face interaction. People who are too myopic to take a chance on a newly certified candidate because they donít have experience and assume that theyíre not capable of doing the job. People who only consider where a person is now as opposed to what their potential ceiling is as a coder. People who are intimidated by younger people who are smarter than them and who could potentially outwork them.

Between the distance learning, books, CEUís, and renewing my membership, Iíve put well over $1000 of my own money into this field, and nearly three years later my return on that investment is literally $0. I have worked in several different facets of Rev Cycle for almost 5 years. Iíve received two promotions in the past 3 years and am hopeful to get a third in the next few months. All three of my current supervisors are willing to be references for me. I have applied for coding positions in Baltimore, Philadelphia, Las Vegas, and Portland among others (big appeal of pursuing coding was being able to work anywhere). I canít recall seeing a job posting that didnít contain ďminimum two years coding experienceĒ.

Finding an entry level position should NOT be this futile of an endeavor for me and people like me. Period. Especially considering the garbage I have been fed during interviews about how much room for growth there is in the coding industry and how there will be an increase in jobs over the next several years. It seems fairly evident that new coders, especially young ones, are not wanted.
    A $1000 is nothing, lol. Most students put in over 100k for a 4 year college degree and still can't get hired because of their lack of experience. That's why it is so important to network and start working towards experience while you're still in school.
    Devin Major, CPC
    HCA Healthcare
    Remote Cardiovascular Coder II
    Houston, Texas

2. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by devinmajor14 View Post
    A $1000 is nothing, lol. Most students put in over 100k for a 4 year college degree and still can't get hired because of their lack of experience. That's why it is so important to network and start working towards experience while you're still in school.
    If by networking you mean taking an internship and working for free, no thanks. Donít work for free under any circumstance, ever.

$1000 directly out of pocket is a lot, yes. Iím also 30k in debt from school, but if thatís such chump change as you say, Iíd really appreciate if youíd clear that debt for me. No big deal, right?

Seems like youíre one of the middle aged coders who are intimidated by people who are younger and smarter than you. Instead of dealing with the reality that itís impossible to get hired without experience, maybe hiring managers should deservedly shoulder some blame and consider that their methods of judging and acquiring talent are short-sighted and severely flawed.

If by networking you mean taking an internship and working for free, no thanks. Donít work for free under any circumstance, ever.

$1000 directly out of pocket is a lot, yes. Iím also 30k in debt from school, but if thatís such chump change as you say, Iíd really appreciate if youíd clear that debt for me. No big deal, right?

Seems like youíre one of the middle aged coders who are intimidated by people who are younger and smarter than you. Instead of dealing with the reality that itís impossible to get hired without experience, maybe hiring managers should deservedly shoulder some blame and consider that their methods of judging and acquiring talent are short-sighted and severely flawed.
    Networking is going to your chapter meeting to meet other coders... I am not middle aged, I am 31 years old that did whatever it took to land my first coding job at 23 instead of complaining about it online. No one wants to hire someone with such attitude.
    Devin Major, CPC
    HCA Healthcare
    Remote Cardiovascular Coder II
    Houston, Texas

Clearly it is not impossible to be hired without experience. I was hired 3 weeks after finishing Practicode (thus the removal of my A status).

I was about $3000.00 into the process. Just over $2500.00 for the course, test and practicode. A CPT blitz, $170.00, from CCO to make sure I was ready for the test. $230.00 for an E/M course that I have not quite finished yet. The course review, CCO blitz and E/M course all fulfilled my CEUs hours, so well worth it to me to show both dedication to the profession and to fulfill my CEUs.

5. Lightbulb Sorry to hear about your struggles with coding jobs! Call me!
    He everyone,

If you are struggle to get a coder job....Call me, I will give you the BEST advice ever to get the job. It will make you think about your next move and you will KNOW how to proceed afterwards. I am NOT selling anything, I just have a soft spot for you all. Well, what do you have to lose? Just be prepared for the real scoop and deal.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
    Ms. Washington

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123