AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Left TKA, LRR & VMO plication left knee

Question Left TKA, LRR & VMO plication left knee

AAPC: Back to School

I have an op note that reads as follows" ...At the conclusion of cementation, there was lateral translation of the patella. It was contained within the groove, but did tilt laterally..." An open lateral retinacular release was performed. Next, "...post-release, there was improvement , but there was still tendency for some tilt. Therefore, pants-over-vest VMO advancement was done with wound closure."

My question is - Can I code 27447 + 27422-59? Open Lateral Release is inclusive in 27422 as 27422 is normally included in 27447. Since this complication occured post cementation of implants is it reasonable to list the above two codes for reimbursement? Thanks for any help provided.

Sarajane Weidner, BS, CPC
    Commonwealth Orthopaedic Associates
    11 Fairlane Road
    Reading, PA 19606
    610-779-2663 ext 3025

since it is a complication of the more invasive surgery, my thoughts are that they are inclusive and not seperately reportable.

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-24-2015, 09:01 AM
  2. Plication of left ventricle aneurysm w/ CABG
    By Margaret Morgan in forum Cardiovascular Thoracic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-28-2013, 11:07 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-15-2013, 07:43 PM
  4. Revision left knee help?? please
    By lorachamblin in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 2