AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Patient seen for two different issues

Default Patient seen for two different issues

AAPC: Back to School
    Patient is seen for two different issues. One is work related and the other is not work related. Can we bill an E&M to the Work Comp Insurance Carrier and another E&M to the Commercial Insurance. I think the patient needs to be seen on two separate days. I may be wrong. I need some feedback and/or references. Thank you.
    Norma Rodriguez, CPC

Duluth, Minnesota

yes, you can bill both - Work Comp for the comp stuff and regular insurance for the other. No modifier needed on either of the E/M's. I would STRONGLY suggest TWO separate notes for the services so that documentation can stand alone for each service provided!!! However, you can score it out (one note/documentation) and figure out each level each problem supports.

but the answer is yes - you can (and no, they don't have to be seen on two different days).
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

Similar Threads

1. ? on dx issues on 92250
    By zwomack in forum Ophthalmology/Optometry
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-17-2013, 12:58 PM
  2. have issues
    By maxwell@marshall.edu in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-31-2011, 09:51 PM
  3. Legal issues
    By michaelloss in forum Medical Coding General Discussion