AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Commonly billed ICD-9 for psych

Default Commonly billed ICD-9 for psych

AAPC: Back to School
    Hello everyone!
    I work for a billing co. and have been tasked to do some research as we may be taking on psych billing. I have found a lot of great info on this forum and I thank you all for providing such great info. I do have a question on psych DX codes. As I'm still fairly new to coding, I wanted to ask about certain DX codes that may normally be used when billing for psych procedures.
    I should not assume, but I am in regards to some of the codes possibly used. I'm quite sure a majority would come from Vol. 1, Tab 5-Mental Disorders. Are there any other areas in which psych codes may commonly come from?
    I did see that you could use the V40 series codes if needed. And the E950-959 codes also.
    I did check Ingenix and saw that they have a Behavorial Health flat sheet which lists the most commonly used DX, but I just wanted to ask which areas in the tabular list the most common codes used.
    Any information you fellow coders could provide would be greatly appreciated

Lola Ross, CPC-A
    Last edited by LRoss31; 04-17-2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Add signature

Glendale, AZ

Hi Lola,
    We've used the mental disorder codes (290-319), some of the codes from the underlying physical condition list that is under the 294.1 code in the ICD9 Ingenix book (i.e. using 331.0 Alzheimer's as the primary code then 294.10 as secondary), and V71.09 when a patient is suspected to have a mental Dx but after eval not found. Hope this helps.
    Donna E. Young, CPC

Similar Threads

1. Commonly Used/Billed Ortho Codes
    By jsweeney23 in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2013, 10:16 AM
  2. Superbill/Commonly used CPT codes
    By stonecm in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 02:46 PM
  3. Help with Psych ICD-9 Sequencing & COnsults
    By crystallena in forum Behavioral Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 04:20 PM
  4. Psych Consult Code vs Psych Diagnostic or Eval Interview Proc Code 90801??
    By mickeyp23 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 04:07 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-2008, 08:36 AM