coding for patients with diabetes

Default coding for patients with diabetes
    Exam Training Packages
    When billing for patients with Type 2 Diabetes we need to add on the V58.67 as a secondary dx to specify that the patient is insulin dependent. If all patients with Type 1 Diabetes are insulin dependent, then do we still need to add on the V58.67 to specify insulin dependence?

Default coding for type 1
    That's a good question. My thinking is that since taking insulin is inherent to Type I diabetes, you should not have to code for the insulin dependence, but since in Type II, not everyone is insulin dependent, that's what this code was designed for. I think in the case of Type I, V58.67 would be a redundant code.

I thought it would be redundant also. But, I seem to be getting mixed answers to this question.

Default coding for diabetes
    I'm not surprised you are getting mixed answers. I have found that whenever there is not a specific direction, it's left open for interpretation and not everyone is going to interpret it the same. Good luck!

5. Default type 2
    My provider is telling me that her type 2 patients are converting to type 1 How do you code for this ??? I'm very confused and don't see anything that says this is correct. I was taught that type 2 who becomes insulin dependent you code the 250.00 with the V58.67 code to show the use of insulin..Help

Quote Originally Posted by nilewis View Post
    My provider is telling me that her type 2 patients are converting to type 1 How do you code for this ??? I'm very confused and don't see anything that says this is correct. I was taught that type 2 who becomes insulin dependent you code the 250.00 with the V58.67 code to show the use of insulin..Help
    Type 2 diabetes cannot progress or convert to type 1. I ran into this with a provider a few years ago and his rationale was he understood that when a type 2 patient became insulin dependent then they had converted or progressed to a type 1. This is absolutely not true, and I had to go to several medical textbooks and physiology definitions before I convince him that this is in fact incorrect. Is this the reason your provider is saying this? You cannot change a patient's diabetes type just to make certain services pay. However you can indicate type 2 with insulin dependence by appending the V58.67

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H