ICD10 codes mutual exclusive denial

1. Default ICD10 codes mutual exclusive denial
    Medical Coding Books
    I am hoping someone can help me with a blue cross denial
    I billed ICD10 codes E78.5 E29.1 to 99214 Blue cross denied as Mutual exclusive any advise would be appreciated.

E78.5: Hyperlipidemia, unspecified

E29.1: Testicular hypofunction

I see no reason why this would be denied for "mutually exclusive." They're two different body systems, one is not a symptom associated with the other, and there's no excludes1 note. Scratching my head over this.

Unless there's a wrong gender marker somewhere, since E29.1 couldn't be used on a coded-female patient.
    K.D Lowenberg, MA, CCS-P
    Consultant and Privacy/Security Officer
    Orlando, FL

This is an Excludes 1 denial.. all codes in the E70-E78 code range are exclude 1 excluded with the E29.1. This is what they mean by mutually exclusive denial.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

4. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by kdlberg View Post
    E78.5: Hyperlipidemia, unspecified

E29.1: Testicular hypofunction

I see no reason why this would be denied for "mutually exclusive." They're two different body systems, one is not a symptom associated with the other, and there's no excludes1 note. Scratching my head over this.

Unless there's a wrong gender marker somewhere, since E29.1 couldn't be used on a coded-female patient.
    thanks you !

5. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
    This is an Excludes 1 denial.. all codes in the E70-E78 code range are exclude 1 excluded with the E29.1. This is what they mean by mutually exclusive denial.
    Thank you !