Wound I&D

Default Wound I&D
    Medical Coding Books
    crazy question- one of my Dr's did an open repair tibia fracture. we billed out the farcture repair but I was asked a question.

he documented a "traumatic wound" (at fracture site)that was irrigated & drained. One of the AR girls asked me if we could bill that out. I say no but wanted to get a second opinion - better safe than sorry.

Thank you.

If the wound was at the fx site and not separate from the site then I agree, it is included in the fx care code - I am actually working on the same type thing for a femur.
    Crystal, CPC, CCS-P

3. Default
    I'm new to coding, but there are 3 codes dedicated to open fractures/dislocations that describe excisional debridement of tissue. 11010-11012. These codes include prolonged cleansing of the contaminated site; removal of all foreign/dead material from the wound site; and irrigation of all tissue layers and exploration of the soft tissue injured.

THANK YOU BOTH...IT'S NICE TO GET A 2ND OPINION...JUST IN CASE YOU'RE WRONG AND HAVE TO ANSWER TO THE DOC'S...HAHAHA

Similar Threads

1. I&D Groin Wound
    By sheena91382 in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2015, 11:47 AM
  2. Help! I&D wound debridement
    By sheena91382 in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2015, 02:14 PM
  3. Wound Care and E&M
    By AZ_coder in forum E/M
    Replies: 1