If more than 50 % of the total time spend was in counseling/coordination of care, then the appropriate code to use based on total time of 45 minutes would be 99215.
I don't see how you could bill an inpatient consult (99254), as patient came into the office. But maybe that's a typo and you mean 99354 prolonged service.
You would not bill prolonged service because when you are using time for counseling/coordination of care you code to the highest level supported by the time, and only code prolonged service if you have at least 30 minutes more than the time required for the highest level of service. 99215 requires 40 minutes, so you would need at least 70 minutes total to have an additional 30 minutes for prolonged service (99354)
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join