AAPC - Back to school

Thread: excessive daytime sleepiness

Default excessive daytime sleepiness

AAPC: Back to School
    How would you code excessive daytime sleepiness?

North Carolina

"Hypersomnia is characterized by recurring episodes of excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS) or prolonged nighttime sleep.

Thanks for your help--

I would use:30743

Everett, WA

Actually, Ugocodergirl, while I understand your submission of that particular code, the original question submitted does not give us the information to arrive at that diagnosis. This is the way I look at the question: We do not know if this is a specific disorder of sleep of "nonorganic origins" as stated by the category, furthermore, we do not know if it is a "transient" disorder that may be associated with acute or intermittent emotion reactions or conflicts, etc, etc. We just don't have enough info to assign the 307.43. Admittedly I chose the main term "Somnolence" (courtesy of Stedman's dictionary and resulting definition = Somnolence (1) an inclination to sleep) as a starting place and ICD-9 directs us to 780.09, 307.43 and 349.89. That's my rationale and In my NON-expert opinion would be inclined to go with 780.09.

Who cares to go next?
    Suzanne E. Byrum CPC

Similar Threads

1. Excessive diagnoses and linking
    By AuditU in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2015, 02:59 PM
  2. 17003 Excessive Units
    By eeason in forum Dermatology
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-04-2015, 02:13 PM
  3. Excessive Coumadin Level