AAPC - Back to school

Thread: General Surgery

Question General Surgery

AAPC: Back to School
    Hi fellows Coders

I am new in the Billing and Coding for General Surgery. Your input in this matter will be appreciated.

1. What it is included in the surgical package? What is the global period for surgery?

2. Can I bill for hospital visits Ex. admission, subsq hospital visits and discharge?

3. What can I bill when surgery is done as an outpatient?

If you have any additional information regarding this matter please reply asap.

Lincoln, NE

Your few questions would require in depth responses in order to give you the information you are seeking. We could talk for hours. Instead, may I suggest you go the NCCI Website / Overview Section / and read at very least Chapters 1 & 6 (other chapter may also be useful) and this will give you a good base of information to build on. Also on the NCCI Website is "NCCI Edits - Physicians" which shows what is bundled and could possibly be unbundled with a modifier.The NCCI weblink is:

Also, for your question regarding Global Periods I have attached the Medicare Relative Values Guide weblink which lists global periods for every procedure along with other useful information.

It's alot of reading but very essential information so that you understand the general coding concepts and guidelines.

Julie, CPC

Take you very much for your help. I know is not going to be easy but I ready to learn and new specialty. I hope to keep contact with you for future questions.