AAPC - Back to school

Thread: goretex thyroplasty?

Question goretex thyroplasty?

AAPC: Back to School
    Any code suggestions for Thyroplasty using GoreTex?

Op note reads:
    A quarter-inch ribbon of Gore-Tex tape was inserted laterally on the left lateral side between the cartilage
    and perichondrium. As this was performed, the patient vocalized. The Gore-Tex tape was placed in a
    manner to maximally improve the quality and volume of the voice. Following this, the tape was cut flush
    with the cartilage. Bone wax was applied to provide stability.

Many thanks!

I need more info, such as a diagnosis and what is being repaired? Is there more to the op note? because I think you maybe referring to a Laryngoplasty?

Let me know.

ENT CT

Default Goretex Thyroplasty

Yes it is a laryngoplasty through an open incision. I'm debating 31599 vs. 31588. 31588 has an example that is not relevant to my case and I'm not sure how the Goretex tape fits with that desc. other than the NOS. The patient has vocal fold paralysis following a thyroidectomy for papillary
    thyroid carcinoma

Was this the only procedure performed or was done in conjunction with another?

Personally, I would use CPT 31588, Laryngoplasty, not otherwise specified; you already know it is a larygoplasty and CPT has given you a universal code with 31588; all the other laryngoplasty codes identify a specific repair, this one allows for a variety of repairs that can be done.

ENT CT

Similar Threads

1. dual goretex patch
    By ssavage in forum Cardiovascular Thoracic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-21-2011, 07:15 AM
  2. montgomery thyroplasty
    By dmayes in forum ENT/Otolaryngology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-08-2010, 06:59 AM
  3. Goretex graft coding question
    By mmarcum in forum Interventional Radiology