AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Vaginal delivery w/evacuation

Fort Wayne In

Default Vaginal delivery w/evacuation

AAPC: Back to School
    Vaginal delivery includes episiotomy and use of forceps, but if you use evacuation is there a different code?

Smile Question regarding 5th digit combinations for multiple dxs - same inpatient stay

Carol Buck's SBS 2009 Chapter 15 contains the following entry:

"When coding multiple diagnoses from one inpatient stay, certain combinations of fifth digits are used to classify that stay or visit. These fifth digit combinations are:

1 only, or with 2: NOT with 0,3, or 4
    2 only, or with 1; NOT with 0,3, or 4
    , etc...

What does this mean? She does not use examples and I don't have the knowledge to understand this yet. Can you help with examples, etc?

Thank you

Fort Wayne In

Look at the example she gave for code 641.1, the only fifth digit you may use for this code is 0,1 or 3; you can not use 2 and 4 as fifth digits for 641.1. Now look at 642.0 here you can use 0,1,2,3, or 4 as your fifth digit. You have to watch the options in the brackets.
    Hope this helps

Default Fifth digit combinations, cont.

Thank you. I do understand that example. However for multiple diagnoses for the same hospital stay, I'm still not clear. I really don't see any examples for this type of 5th digit classification or, am I missing something?
    Can you clarify this? Thanks.