AAPC - Back to school

Thread: hypothenar fat pad flap

Default hypothenar fat pad flap

AAPC: Back to School
    Does any one know how to code a hypothenar fat pad flap when doing a revision carpal tunnel release? we have been using 17999 but I have come across some stuff saying to use 14040. we have been told we cannot bill it separately but i dont agree. does anyone have any documentation on wether or not it can be billed separately?
    Thanks so much for any help.

My doctors use 14040.
    My online software shows no bundling issues.
    I have attached a copy of the info.

Validation Results Office - CCI Version 14.0CodeDescription

Adjacent tissue transfer or rearrangement, forehead, cheeks, chin, mouth, neck, axillae, genitalia, hands and/or feet; defect 10 sq cm or less

There are no bundling issues for this code

Neuroplasty and/or transposition; median nerve at carpal tunnel

There are no bundling issues for this code

Lewiston, Maine

I also use the 14040 with the 64721. No probelms with the carriers on reimbursement.
    Catherine Nolin, CPC

Default CPT Assistant Information RE: Fat Pad

CPT ?Assistant, August 2009, Volume 19, Issue 8, page 11

Surgery/Nervous SystemQuestion:

A patient is seen for recurrent carpal tunnel -syndrome. The physician performs a revision right carpal tunnel release with a local ulnar fat pad rotation flap and reports code 64721, Neuroplasty and/or transposition; median nerve at carpal tunnel. The procedure report states that the ulnar fat pad was rotated on the distally based flap and used to cover the median nerve. Would this procedure be reported separately and, if so, which code should be reported?

Code 64721 is the appropriate code to report the carpel tunnel release; however, there is no specific code for fat pad coverage of the median nerve. If the size of the fat pad and the amount of work involved are significant, then modifier 22, Increased Procedural Services, may be appended to code 64721. Records should reflect the size of the flap and the amount of work that is over and above the usual procedure. It is not appropriate to report a flap/graft service from the Integumentary System for this technique.

Hand Surgery Quarterly - Spring 2010 - American Association of Hand Surgery

Use of a hypothenar fat pad flap to cover the nerve after exploration would correspond to a code for adjacent tissue transfer; an appropriate code would be 14040, which describes adjacent tissue transfer or rearrangement for the hands for a defect of 10 square centimeters or less.