If a hosptial encounter is shared between a physician and a NPP and the physician provides any face-to-face substantive portion of the E/M encounter with the patient, both the NPP and physician should each document what each personally performed. The total documentation by both the NPP and the physician should support the level of service reported.
Split/Shared visists are not applicable to consultations, procedures and critical care services.
There isn't a certain amount of time required, per se. If the NPP and the physician adequatley documents their time involved (face to face), you can report the visit under the MD.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join