10-11-2017, 06:50 AM | Community Wiki

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

skin lesion removal HELP!

Exam Training Packages
    I agree with you! I have not finished looking into this but I feel in my heart that this is a complete misinterpretation of the LCD. I will get back to you when I finish reading everything.

2. Default Regards to Lesion Removal
    Hi Chrissy - This note is in ref: to your Physician coding lesions sheet - Just wondering if I would be able to get a copy of the sheet you use. Also just wondering; the correct way to code for exc. lesions that show atypia? I am thinking that because the path report does not state MALIG. I do have to code this as benign Am I correct?
    Thanks for your help

Deb, CPC

this definately goes against everything I have ever learned. I don't see how you can code. Do I use E&M for removal and path rpt dx w/pro code? Not a good thing.
    Last edited by kbarron; 06-03-2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: correct spelling
    Karen Barron, CPC
    Hampton New Hampshire Chapter

4. Default
    Very interested to know more about the lesion removals; also would like
    a copy of the lesion chart for the physicians I code for.

Thanks,
    Deb

I agree with Chrissy, I heard of the LCD change too. I can't believe they would want us to code something malignant, without knowing for sure.

Here's a question, how will Medicare know if you waited for the path report before coding or not? I say continue doing it right and see how Medicare handles the claim.

Melissa-CPC

I agree with Melissa, and I have read the LCD about 100 times now and I just am not getting the same information out of it that Don Self did. I think if you read only part of it at a time or digest only part of it you might get that but what I am getting is no different than what we have been taught, long ago (and a galaxy far away!) the CPT assistant stated that if the pathology came back with uncertain behavior that we would code benign excision if the margins were narrow and malignant if the margins were wide. I truely think this is what the LCD is saying as well it just is in a very confusing format. The dx codes for uncertain behavior are intended to be used with a path report indicating uncertain. So I agree with Melissa we shopuld continue to do what we know is right and those who are affteced by this LCD need to go to the CMS regional office and request clarification.
    Last edited by mitchellde; 05-06-2015 at 09:51 PM.

7. Default annabiller
    how can a pcp get paid for skin lesion removal i got a denial for 17000 and the office visit after as global is there any way to correct this

17000 is a destruction code, what dx did you use, what does the denial state?

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12