Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Application of Wound Vac - Patient had an I&D and wound

1. Default
    Exam Training Packages
    Quote Originally Posted by mbort View Post
    BUT keep in mind...KCI is the company/REP that supplies them...they will tell you anything to get you to use their product. Because you have done it in the past and have received payment isnt a good enough reason for me to do it. Each to their own, I just wont risk it it until I see something SOLID from the AMA/CPT. Right now everything still point to a "NO GO" for me.

I still believe that the AMA/CPT are the higher authority and take presidence over everyone else. The CMS Bulletin from 2006 addresses OPPS, not physicians.

Mary, CPC, COSC
    If you look in the CPT book 2009 on pg. 441 it says right under Active Wound Care Management: Active wound care procedures are performed to remove devitalized and/or necrotic tissue and promote healing. Provideris required to have direct (one-on-one) patient contact.

Quote Originally Posted by ILuvRock View Post
    If you look in the CPT book 2009 on pg. 441 it says right under Active Wound Care Management: Active wound care procedures are performed to remove devitalized and/or necrotic tissue and promote healing. Provideris required to have direct (one-on-one) patient contact.
    thats correct, those are the instructions under the header. Under each individual CPT code it shows the CPT assist to obtain the updates and additional information that relate to those codes, which points to the CPT assistant Jun 05 and Insiders view 2005 for every one of them.

Like you I dont want to beat a dead horse. Everyone can take the information that has been provided and make the decision for themself if its worth the risk.

Personally, I have been coding ortho for 18 years, there is not an official source that has said its okay, therefore I will continue to follow the AMA on this. I'd love to see my docs get paid for it, but legally. I'm not willing to risk it and never been dinged in an audit for not doing billing it.

my last two cents on the subject
    Mary, CPC, COSC

3. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by mbort View Post
    thats correct, those are the instructions under the header. Under each individual CPT code it shows the CPT assist to obtain the updates and additional information that relate to those codes, which points to the CPT assistant Jun 05 and Insiders view 2005 for every one of them.

Like you I dont want to beat a dead horse. Everyone can take the information that has been provided and make the decision for themself if its worth the risk.

Personally, I have been coding ortho for 18 years, there is not an official source that has said its okay, therefore I will continue to follow the AMA on this. I'd love to see my docs get paid for it, but legally. I'm not willing to risk it and never been dinged in an audit for not doing billing it.

my last two cents on the subject
    Mary, CPC, COSC
    Well in my opinion there is not a risk and it is legal. I never used CPT assistant, I go by CPT book which comes from AMA and Ingenix coders desk reference, and I went by what Medicare says seeing that is what insurance denied the original question that was asked to begin with. I gave all the info I had, and I used to work for 48 surgeons, 6 different specialties, where they did audits all the time and there was never a problem, but that's that.
    The ortho surgeon I work for now has not used wound vacs yet.
    That is my final thought on that.

4. Talking Cpc
    I am an inpatient coder and i cannot find the correct icd-9 procedure code for the application of the wound vac. Any ideas...thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123