PFSH documented as "non-contributory" - do you give credit?

1. Question PFSH documented as "non-contributory" - do you give credit?
    Medical Coding Books
    I have a provider who documented a patient's family history as "non-contributory". To me this statement is too vague. It isn't explicit what the provider means by that statement. This is a new patient visit, so counting (or not counting) this documentation will can make the difference between a detailed or comprehensive history. Are there any guidelines regarding this statement and whether it can be used to give credit for family history?

A handout from CMS/Trailblazers states that you can not use the term "non-contributory". To be able to give credit it must have at least one documented aspect or say that it was reviewed and unchanged or something to that sort.

Quote Originally Posted by tsmith19 View Post
    I have a provider who documented a patient's family history as "non-contributory". To me this statement is too vague. It isn't explicit what the provider means by that statement. This is a new patient visit, so counting (or not counting) this documentation will can make the difference between a detailed or comprehensive history. Are there any guidelines regarding this statement and whether it can be used to give credit for family history?
    Hello...

In the scenario you set forth I would not give credit for that statement. My reasoning being that this is a "new" pt to the practice you would want some type of family history, it could be relevant down the road.

If this were a visit for a "simple" visit like say sinusitis, something minor I would say it could be non-contributory to the presenting problem.

I get my providers into the habit of getting "some kind of fm hx".

Just my opinion
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"