Is this an established patient visit? Looks like it. In that case I can see how you are in between. You need two of three and based on history and exam you would get a 99213. However, MDM should be a driving factor - and the MDM really is straight forward in my opinion (which supports the 99212). How much of the history and exam was truly medically necessary? Every so often it is possible that medical necessity is higher than the medical decision making and it would be fair to base the code on history and exam. If a lot of the information is documented because the template prompted for it, it might be overdocumented. Do you have similar cases to compare the note to and figure out if all the history and exam was needed to provided appropriate care?
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join