Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

ICD-10 if you don't pass the exam will you lose the Certifcation??

Default Cpc-h
    Exam Training Packages
    ?? Does this apply to all that have there cpc or does it apply to cpc-h as well ,
    thanks
    th

Default Cpc-h
    Does this apply too all credentailed coders cpc , cpc-h , cpc-i-p

Default cpc, cpc-h
    My understanding is that it applies to any certification you have (CPC, CPC-H, CPC-P, etc). If you hold a certification, you'll need to recertify for ICD-10.

Kellie

Default Cpc-h
    Thank you kelly

i was told a few different things so thanks for clearing that up for me

What if you get specialty credentials, like CFP or CPC/E/M or however they're coming? Should I wait til ICD-10 to get those credentials or will it ONLY be the CPC credentials?
    Heidi Thompson, CPC

One exam will cover all your credentials, per a phonecall to AAPC.
    Machelle Morningstar, CPC, COC, CEMC, COSC
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer

7. Default My two cents worth on this topic
    Personally, I don't see what all of the hype is about either. Doctors and others in the medical profession have to take exams every so often for their licensure to prove that they are up to date on new advances in the field, so I don't see why it shouldn't be expected of us. I have met/worked with some CPCs out there that I wondered how in the world they became credentialed in the first place and others who are not credentialed who could code the socks off of some of us! I worked very hard for my credentials and having two years to take the ICD-10 exam with an open book should not be anything that I can't handle. The only people who might want to worry are the ones who probably shouldn't be credentialed or those who wait until the last minute to try to take it the first time.

AMEN Machelle! I couldn't have said it better myself... thanks for you post

Quote Originally Posted by mmorningstarcpc View Post
    With respect to other posters comments, I personally think testing proficiency in ICD-10 is a good thing. The cost is no more really than your CEUs may cost. I love a challenge and learning new things. I have been learing about ICD-10 for several years, both the diagnosis coding, and the procedures. There are lots of resources out there, including AAPC, of which many are free or low cost. I think ICD-10, like most other things, can be what you make of it. If you are interested in learning about it, you may find it easier to learn; if you don't want it and find it "just another burden" than most likely it will be harder for you to grasp. Make the best of it!

PS, Who knows, if you complete the ICD-10 proficiency early, it may give you a leg up on someone else who hasn't tested yet.
    Sincerely,

Kristie Stokes, CPC, CPMA, CCS, CMDP, ICDCT-CM

AAPCCA Board of Directors 2014-2017
    Region 1 - Northeast
    Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York

Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine they see all day.

Quote Originally Posted by ARCPC9491 View Post
    I don't understand what all the hype is all about ICD-10. I want to take the test. Why wouldn't you?

As coders, we are the go-to, the ones who know some pretty important stuff. Think about it, if coders/billers DID NOT exist, would your practice fail? Yes, it would. Each and everyone of you has a very important role. So remember that. Important roles have important duties,#1: maintaining your CPC and other credentials. Maintaining your credentials, means abiding by the organizations requirements. Think of it as your driver's license. Every 10 years or whatever you have to retake the test, if you don't, they take away your license. Well, now the same goes for ICD-10. ICD-10 is a massive change, as well as a headache, but we are in this business because we love what we do. If you don't, then you don't belong here. Do you think your physicians would be happy when ICD-10 takes place, and you don't know what you are doing? Nope probably not. Taking this test is not about just the credential holder...it affects your doctors, your patients, the rest of the staff, and pretty importantly, your revenue.

There are costs and fees associated with everything you do in life. I think the AAPC's costs are reasonable and competitive. Some of our employers pay for our CEU's and membership fees, for which we are thankful for. For those employers that don't, have you ever asked? Make a deal, ask them to pay half of all expenses. Bargain with them. If your employer requires the CPC, make them pay for the CEU's.

Just my opinion.

HERE HERE!!!! I completely agree with you. I am thrilled and proud to be a coder and part of an elite group, why wouldn't any of you feel the same? We have worked hard to obtain the status we have, be proud and be ready to learn more (that's what being a coder is all about), even if that means taking another test. They are giving us a break to have it open book and unproctored... be thankful..... my 2 cents
    Sincerely,

Kristie Stokes, CPC, CPMA, CCS, CMDP, ICDCT-CM

AAPCCA Board of Directors 2014-2017
    Region 1 - Northeast
    Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York

Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine they see all day.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ashleynapier
    I will be extremely pissed off if I lose my certification by not passing this new ICD-10 thing. I busted my butt, and paid entirely too much money, to pass the exam and earn the certificate I have now. I just paid another $120 to keep my certification up to date, and I can't even use it. I refuse to give this organization any more money when the certificate has proved useless for so many of us.

I on the other hand am looking forward to taking the ICD-10 challenge, It's another chance to prove myself as a CPC and prove that I am up to date on things in the coding world. With this profession the only thing your guaranteed is change. Keeping your certification up to date is your responsibility in my opinion.

I do hiring in my position and I sure would want a candidate that is up to date with things and who isn't so negative about having to keep up their certification. I too pay for my certification, seminars etc... I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't want or need my employer to pay for me, Yes I am helping them out too but I do it for myself not per se for them.

Just my two cents.
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast