Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

ICD-10 if you don't pass the exam will you lose the Certifcation??

1. Default
    Medical Coding Books
    AMEN ROXANNE. I am entirely on your side.

2. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna Weaver View Post
    I'm really sorry you feel so negatively about the choice you made to certify in coding. I can only say that there may be a lot of the newer coders, and maybe some older ones, who are having difficulty finding jobs, but there are many, many of us working and we do enjoy our careers.
    Unfortunately, you do hear a lot about the negative side of certification on here, that's what it's for, to be able to gain advice from those who have gone before. I don't feel we hear enough about the good things that happen though, so it's off-set by negativity. With over 50,000 certified (I believe that was the last number?) you figure the relatively few who are unhappy, that leaves a whole lot of people who are satisfied (if not happy) with their career choice. Make no mistake, there are days when I would say I would give it up in a heart beat, but I wouldn't because I really enjoy the research, the give and take, even the arguing (just to see if I can be right!!!).
    The ICD-10 will be just another hurdle/challenge to keep us on our toes. We have to keep our certification up, which means more education constantly, which is why AAPC is one of the leading credentialing sources in the United States. I, for one, do enjoy learning anything new.
    So, having said this, just want to let you know, there is always another side. Please don't give up if this is what you want to do. And as the saying goes, anything worth having is worth fighting for! So, if this is truly your career choice, keep fighting!
    Best of luck to you!
    Seems everybody is to be happy if they have a job. Those who have a job almost look down on those who don't and don't want to give any advice or help. Believe it or not there are more than a "few" who are unhappy! My friend's area unemployment rate is 17% with many coders out of work. Further you have as many schools as are in business turning out 20-30 coders monthly. Many jobs require 3 years experience just to get in the door! Are these not so few supposed to be happy?

Default Icd-10
    Quote Originally Posted by rehabilitation View Post
    Seems everybody is to be happy if they have a job. Those who have a job almost look down on those who don't and don't want to give any advice or help. Believe it or not there are more than a "few" who are unhappy! My friend's area unemployment rate is 17% with many coders out of work. Further you have as many schools as are in business turning out 20-30 coders monthly. Many jobs require 3 years experience just to get in the door! Are these not so few supposed to be happy?
    Well, I would say anyone who is working right now probably is happy they have a job. I don't know of anyone who looks down on anyone who isn't working. With things the way they are, any of us could be among those unemployed. The only advice I can give, is to take anything that will get you in the door, sell yourself, have good work ethics, play down negativity, and show what your made of. That will get you farther in work than anything else. I do understand there are a lot of coders out there (and more coming) without work. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to help them, except to network, mentor, and give support as much as possible. I'm not in a position to hire or even recommend for employment. Our facility isn't hiring right now either. I really am sorry there are so many unemployed coders. But, as with any up and coming career (coding has grown almost triple in the past 5 years) you have to expect lags in employment.
    Anyway, Best of luck to you!
    Anna Weaver, CPC, CPMA, CEMC
    Associate Auditor

4. Default
    I do not look down on any coder not employed. It's a struggle, and I sympathize and understand it truly is a hard field to break into. I've been there. I had to work M-F, 8am to 5pm for two years and attend college at night. I had no life to speak of, except books in my hand. I also was on the insurance side of coding before becoming a coder and being offered the opportunity to work in a specialty field to gain my experience was an answer to prayers. We've all started from the bottom and from opportunities that crossed our paths. I encourage those unemployed to step into a field closely related to coding (i.e. insurance). Especially if you have no medical experience and trying to get into the field of coding. However, I know several elders in the field that will not transition into Icd-10, which will open lots of doors with companies when that takes place.

5. Default Denise
    I agree that we need to be ICD-10 proficient,we would be foolish not to be for our current jobs. I think this could be achieved by requiring CEU's to be coding ICD-10. Also, the training that is offered by AAPC is expensive considering we pay $125.00 a year in dues to keep our membership. I'm not against taking the test but we should get a second certification in ICD-10 not lose the original one we earned. We coded the CPT codes as well and it was one of the hardest test I have ever taken , including the 1 year course in coding I took at the community college at a cost of $2500.00. It seems a little small for AAPC to say that they will take this achievement away if you don't pass this test. I think they should rethink this decision.

Quote Originally Posted by denisek View Post
    I agree that we need to be ICD-10 proficient,we would be foolish not to be for our current jobs. I think this could be achieved by requiring CEU's to be coding ICD-10. Also, the training that is offered by AAPC is expensive considering we pay $125.00 a year in dues to keep our membership. I'm not against taking the test but we should get a second certification in ICD-10 not lose the original one we earned. We coded the CPT codes as well and it was one of the hardest test I have ever taken , including the 1 year course in coding I took at the community college at a cost of $2500.00. It seems a little small for AAPC to say that they will take this achievement away if you don't pass this test. I think they should rethink this decision.
    Good point. Maybe AAPC should rethink this..

7. Default
    Truly, who would want to hire someone who is no longer proficient in diagnosis coding but can code procedures? I'm thinking not many. It is appropriate that you will lose your certification if you don't pass the test.

8. Default
    I have just graduated with AIU online in December 2012. I was not told when I graduated I would not be certified. I got my associates degree in the mean time but now I have to take they exam for certification. This is my second attempt and this really is a kick your butt test for the CPC. I have not found a job in coding yet but I wish and hope to get into. I will be getting some more education on the ICD-10 but I need to no what and if there are any programs where you can get help to pay for these courses I am on a budget.

Default We have until 2015...
    Read below...it says that we have until September of 2015 (not 2014) to take the test.....

What is the ICD-10 Proficiency Assessment and is it required? The ICD-10 Proficiency Assessment is the only step of this roadmap required for all certified AAPC members. You should prepare yourself as you would for other exams or assessments. To ensure employers continue to have confidence in a certified coder's ability to accurately code the current code sets, AAPC certified members will have two years to pass an open-book, online, unproctored assessment.
    It will measure your understanding of ICD-10-CM format and structure, groupings and categories of codes, ICD-10-CM official guidelines, and coding concepts.
    •Required for AAPC certified coders, recommended for all other coders•Two (2) years to take and pass the assessment, beginning October 1, 2013 (one year before implementation of ICD-10) and ending September 30, 2015 (one year after implementation)•75 questions, open-book, online, and unproctored•Coders will have two (2) attempts at passing for the $60 administration fee•ICD-10-CM only (ICD-10-PCS will not be covered in the assessment)•No CEUs given

10. Unhappy reply to threads....
    Thanks after reading these threads I didn't have to ask an repetitive question again... however this AACPC site is for what use cause I am not understanding yet how do I get to study for up coming test for the CPC?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast