AAPC - Back to school
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ICD-10 if you don't pass the exam will you lose the Certifcation??

Lakeland, FL

Default ICD-10 if you don't pass the exam will you lose the Certifcation??

AAPC: Back to School
    I have been trying to find out the answer to this questions. I know we have a two year peroid to try to pass the ICD-10 exam for those who are already certifcation, but if you don't pass (some people wait till the last minute) will you lose you certification?

Kansas City, MO

The answer to your question can be found here http://www.aapc.com/ICD-10/training.aspx. It is broken down by year and this can be found at the end.

September 30, Proficiency Validation Ends
    Proficiency tests will be taken online within the AAPC Member Area. The exam will be composed of 75 questions, timed and open book. All certified coders are required to pass the exam by September 30, 2014 to maintain certification. The exam may be taken twice for $60.
    Angela Jordan, CPC
    AAPC of Kansas City
    National Advisory Board Representative Region 5

Medical Revenue $olutions
    Senior Managing Consultant

Angry will you be able to keep your certification?

Quote Originally Posted by hinditina View Post
    I have been trying to find out the answer to this questions. I know we have a two year peroid to try to pass the ICD-10 exam for those who are already certifcation, but if you don't pass (some people wait till the last minute) will you lose you certification?
    The answer is no you will not be able to keep your certification if you have not passed the proficiency test w/in the 2yrs AAPC is going to give us, I called them today

Seacoast- Dover New Hampshire

What is the cost for the ICD-1 test?
    Karen Barron, CPC
    Hampton New Hampshire Chapter

North Carolina

I was told $60. Covers 2 attempts.

Kokomo, IN

Default exam

Quote Originally Posted by ashleynapier View Post
    I will be extremely pissed off if I lose my certification by not passing this new ICD-10 thing. I busted my butt, and paid entirely too much money, to pass the exam and earn the certificate I have now. I just paid another $120 to keep my certification up to date, and I can't even use it. I refuse to give this organization any more money when the certificate has proved useless for so many of us.
    I'm really sorry you feel so negatively about the choice you made to certify in coding. I can only say that there may be a lot of the newer coders, and maybe some older ones, who are having difficulty finding jobs, but there are many, many of us working and we do enjoy our careers.
    Unfortunately, you do hear a lot about the negative side of certification on here, that's what it's for, to be able to gain advice from those who have gone before. I don't feel we hear enough about the good things that happen though, so it's off-set by negativity. With over 50,000 certified (I believe that was the last number?) you figure the relatively few who are unhappy, that leaves a whole lot of people who are satisfied (if not happy) with their career choice. Make no mistake, there are days when I would say I would give it up in a heart beat, but I wouldn't because I really enjoy the research, the give and take, even the arguing (just to see if I can be right!!!).
    The ICD-10 will be just another hurdle/challenge to keep us on our toes. We have to keep our certification up, which means more education constantly, which is why AAPC is one of the leading credentialing sources in the United States. I, for one, do enjoy learning anything new.
    So, having said this, just want to let you know, there is always another side. Please don't give up if this is what you want to do. And as the saying goes, anything worth having is worth fighting for! So, if this is truly your career choice, keep fighting!
    Best of luck to you!

Cleveland Southwest chapter

Thumbs up Change is inevitable

Hi to all,

I agree with you, Anna. I've been on both sides: a coder who was certified without a job (numerous times), and now an employed coder working for the VA. I know the heartache and the discipline that goes into coding and I also know the money that it takes to continue the education. At times, it is tedious and exhausting, but it has many rewards.

I encourage you, Ashley, to continue to keep your head up. With ICD-10 coming, one of the benefits is that it is NEW for ALL OF US. Where some seasoned coders have excelled in their coding of ICD-9, you may have an opportunity to shine because we're all going to be novices with new information. My approach will be to learn as much as possible through my employer, research online as much as I can for free, go to my chapter meetings to learn from those around me, network with other coders, and read, read, read...

One thing that enticed me with the coding field in general was the fact that it changes constantly. The AAPC is doing everything it can to inform us, and I have to believe that the membership fee I submit every year is helping to teach me something. They have tried to keep costs low, which I appreciate. We are all living through a national recession and though some of us have jobs and others of us don't, the academy is trying to help with education. I'll pray about your job search.

To ensure that employers continue to value the CPC® and other AAPC credentials once ICD-10-CM is implemented (thus protecting all 60,000 credential holders), and that those credentials truly represent one’s ability to code under the current code set, AAPC members holding a credential will have two years to pass an open-book, online ICD-10 proficiency test.

* You will be given two (2) years to take and pass, beginning October 1, 2012 (one year before implementation of ICD-10) and ending September 30, 2014 (one year after implementation)
    * There will be 75 questions
    * It will be open-book, online and un-proctored
    * Coders will have two (2) attempts at passing for the $60 administration fee

Default Ashley must live in a rural area as I do

Keep looking Ashley, I live in a very rural area and there aren't any certified coders here, not even at the hospital. I have to travel over an hour to the most local chapter. Chin up and keep looking!

I agree with both sides on this one. I paid for all of my exams and books to start with and was really disgusted with the cost of it all. Unfortunately the only thing constant in this field is change. I guess thats why I like it so much. Good luck to us all.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast