I don't believe that 50389 requires that there be a stent present. But it does require that the nephrostomy be removed under fluoro guidance. And since I don't know the reason for the removal, I should probably also say that I wouldn't code the removal if it was for the purpose of placing a nephrostomy or stent. The injection to check the tube before removal is bundled into 50389 but a true nephrostogram would be 50394/74425, again depending upon on the circumstances and what the report actually documented.
Diane Huston, CPC,RCC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join