General Surgery Question

1. Smile General Surgery Question
    Exam Training Packages
    Hi. I'm a new coder to the "Surgical" world. I started about a month ago after doing about 3yrs in the ED world. Anyhow, a doctor just asked me today to go on a list-serv and see if he can bill for 32421 along with 32551 (which is a sep procedure). He didn't give me any more info that the codes. Is it even possible. Like I said, I'm new to this (I'm so grateful for the job & opportunity) but don't even know where to begin. Any help is appreciated, Jen

2. Default
    Jen,

Isn't there someone at work who could help you (co-worker, supervisor)? I would want to check with them if I were in your position.

Kim

3. Default Gen Surg ?
    Hi Kim. Yes, I do have a supervisor but I was asked to search for answers through the forums as she's never been asked this of the doctor either. I hope that's what these forums are for, to help each other out Jen

Jen, One good source for "separate procedure" information is the CCI manual. There are introductory notes before each section and this may be able to help you. Worth checking out anyway...

Go to the NCCI policy Manual for Medicare Services
    http://www.cms.hhs.gov/NationalCorre....asp#TopOfPage

Then open the Chapter 3 info (since you are looking at codes in the 30000-39999 range.

I hope this helps!
    Pam Tienter, CPC, COC, CPC-P, CCS-P, CPMA, CPC-I, AAPC Fellow
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer
    AAPC National ICD-10-CM Trainer

Default surgery question
    I haven't found anything that says these two can't be used together, but here's what is listed for the "separate procedure" designation:

If the procedure was carried out as an integral part of another procedure already coded then the separate procedure CPT code should be deleted.
    These codes MAY be listed with modifier -59 if the separate procedure is independent of and not immediately related to the other procedures.

If the separate procedure is obviously NOT related then modifier -59 is not required.

Remember that documentation must support the separate procedure in order to use both.

6. Default
    Thank you, I will look into this.

Quote Originally Posted by bpct6501 View Post
    Jen, One good source for "separate procedure" information is the CCI manual. There are introductory notes before each section and this may be able to help you. Worth checking out anyway...

Go to the NCCI policy Manual for Medicare Services
    http://www.cms.hhs.gov/NationalCorre....asp#TopOfPage

Then open the Chapter 3 info (since you are looking at codes in the 30000-39999 range.

I hope this helps!

7. Default
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Weaver View Post
    I haven't found anything that says these two can't be used together, but here's what is listed for the "separate procedure" designation:

If the procedure was carried out as an integral part of another procedure already coded then the separate procedure CPT code should be deleted.
    These codes MAY be listed with modifier -59 if the separate procedure is independent of and not immediately related to the other procedures.

If the separate procedure is obviously NOT related then modifier -59 is not required.

Remember that documentation must support the separate procedure in order to use both.