According to the Medicare Guidelines, an additional request for an opinion or advice regarding the same or a new problem with the same patient is received from the same physcian and documented in the medical record the consultation codes can be used again. However, if the consult continues to care for the patient for the original problem following his/her original consult then the repeat service should not be reported.
If you are using the consultation codes then you would need to follow the guidelines as you would for the initial consultation. Request, reason and report.
The LCD database number for Medicare is L27484. Depending on the insurance the guidelines for reporting might be different and you may want to check their website (if they have one)
Hope this helps
- ICD-10 Training
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join