Xray-Can anyone think

Question Xray-Can anyone think
    Exam Training Packages
    Can anyone think of a Dx code for Low lung Volumes. I see it quite often on my chest xrays. I know what it means but not really sure what code to put it under? Thanks in advance.

2. Default
    Hi,

I dont think there is specific code for low lung volume...

We can use 793.1
    Joseph Amalraj Antonisamy CPC-H

3. Red face
    wat abt code 786.00 or 786.09 [respiratory abnormality ] since the lung volumes are related to difference in inhalation and exhalation that is repiration.

4. Default
    i dont think it will be 786.00 or 786.09, it is just abnormal finding of x-ray and also it is just a x-ray not an pft.
    Joseph Amalraj Antonisamy CPC-H

Quote Originally Posted by gervais View Post
    Can anyone think of a Dx code for Low lung Volumes. I see it quite often on my chest xrays. I know what it means but not really sure what code to put it under? Thanks in advance.
    Is this listed as the indication for the xray or as a finding?

If as a finding, I would use 793.1

If as indication for the xray, I would use 786.00 or 794.2 if a pf test was performed and this lead to the xray.

I hope this helps.
    Danny L. Peoples
    CIRCC,CPC

I would use 794.2, nonspecific abnormal results of function studies, pulmonary.

I think whether it is an indication or a finding, it is what it is, and as coders & per ICD-9, you should code to the highest specificity. But of course, us coders often disagree on iterpretation/definition of a diagnosis. Low lung volume though is pretty specific in relation to the respiratory aspect of the lungs. I personally would code the 786.00.