Hospitalist consult in the ER

Default Hospitalist consult in the ER
    Medical Coding Books
    I have a physician who is billing a consult in the ER. Pt came into the Convenience Care Centre and was sent over to ER with chest pain. There is no request for consult nor does the H&P state "I was asked/called to consult".

Physician does document he spoke with a cardiologist who will do a stress test in the morning. Pt was given Lopressor until she is ruled out. Physician spoke with patient and family regarding dx, tx and planning. "Further diagnostic and management plan as the patient's clincial course and consultants input. The patient will be discharged home once cleared by cardiology".

Is this a consult or ER visit? It was billed as a 99244.

HPI - extended
    ROS - Extended
    HX - Complete

Exam - Comprehensive
    MDM - High

I don't see how it could possibly be a consult. If the ER doc called in a hospitalists it was with the intent that the hospitalist take over the care, not for an opinion on what the ER doc should do.

Sounds like an admit to me.

Just my opinion,

Laura, CPC

I agree, it doesn't even sound like the criteria was even met for a consult service to be billed.

Default Hospitalist consult in ER
    Quote Originally Posted by tfischer4 View Post
    I agree, it doesn't even sound like the criteria was even met for a consult service to be billed.
    Thank you.

Similar Threads

1. E/M OBV Consult converted to Inpt Consult
    By AmandaHartman in forum E/M
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2014, 11:36 AM
  2. Hospitalist and Rehab "hospitalist"
    By bertll in forum E/M
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-22-2014, 12:37 PM
  3. Consult in ER by Hospitalist
    By jdibble in forum Emergency Department