Pain Mgmnt/Comprehensive Exam

Unhappy Pain Mgmnt/Comprehensive Exam
    Exam Training Packages
    Hi,

Does anyone have an idea of what constitutes a "Comprehensive Exam" for pain management specialty? Looking at '95 CMS guidelines a comprehensive exam=8 organ systems exam (why would a pain mgmnt Dr have to do all other systems not involved?) ....
    Marilyn CPC, CPC-H, CEMC

Ok, I'll bite. I guess my response is..... you shouldn't bill a comprehensive visit because you can, you should bill it because it's medically necessary in order for your provider to determine a treatment plan or render an opinion. Simply because there's an abundance of documentation does not constitute medical necessity. I hope you don't take offense to my frankness.

Julie, CPC

Wink
    No offense taken, I'm auditing the records, I do not do the coding... The physician is arguing that his exams "in his eyes" are Comprehensive... but if you go by '95 guidelines he would have to examine 8 organ systems, which he feels is crazy since he has no business checking those other systems that are not related to the issue, and I'm glad he is not doing that.....
    Marilyn CPC, CPC-H, CEMC

How much time is the provider actually spending with the patient? It's hard to say but if the provider is also considering time spent with patient to increase the level of service (since exam documentation is not meeting that level) then maybe you should look at prolonged services 99354-99357.

Julie, CPC

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2013, 07:12 AM
  2. Comprehensive Exam
    By NESmith in forum E/M
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-04-2011, 04:45 PM
  3. Anesthesia for pain mgmnt Dr
    By danastiff in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 01:33 AM