I do not believe you can bill separate for the removal of a chest tube. The removal is covered in the insertion. I have done some Interventional Radiology billing and when the surgeon inserted the tube and the Radiologist removed it, I could not bill for the removal by the Radiologist.
I also consulted my expert (sister is Medical Records Director, RHIA/CCS) and after she looked it up she came to the same conclusion but added that you could try the unlisted code 39499 w/appropriate modifier and sent report.
I hope this helps, thought I would try.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join