medicinal application on tongue

Talking medicinal application on tongue
    Medical Coding Books
    One of our pediatric offices came in with the question of what CPT should be coded for lingual application of Gentian violet applied to thrush (male patient 11 mos old)? DOS in March. Originally coded surgery 41599, of course was not paid. What CPT should be used?

an E/M (office visit), appropriate level, documentation supporting level and dx thrush...
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

Not sure about this but

T1503
    Administration of medication, other than oral and/or injectable, by a health care agency/professional, per visit

The T codes are designed for use by Medicaid state agencies to establish codes for items for which there are no permanent national codes but for which codes are necessary to administer the Medicaid program (T codes are not accepted by Medicare but can be used by private insurers). This range of codes describes nursing and home health-related services, substance abuse treatment, and certain training-related procedures.

Just a guess on my part

Laura, CPC

dmaec,
    Original E/M 99213 (Dxs 461.9 & 112.0) was paid. Pediatrician is just looking for charge for the application/administration of the Gentian violet.

Donna & Laura,

Perhaps, T1502? I mean, tongue is considered oral.

Angelica

there "isn't" a charge - it's included in the E/M ...
    sort of like when they get an asprin in the office, you can't bill for that either, it's included in the E/M.

Gentian violet is an antiseptic dye, available without a prescription. (shouldn't swallow it) Avoid swallowing any of the medicine.
    Last edited by dmaec; 06-05-2009 at 09:10 AM.
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

The tongue is, but the medication is topical correct? I think oral and I think of swallowing it but that is just my take on it.

Laura, CPC

Ladies, pediatrician has been informed that service included with E/M. Thanks for your help.

& yes, Donna, am familiar with Gentian violet... my dad's a doc & I remember that AWFUL purple crap as a kid

nods...right.. leaves you purple (where ever it's used)... included in the E/M.. not separately billable.thankfully I never had to have it, nor did my kids..! But I've seen the purple mouths!!
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H