You cannot code this without the pathology because while we could give it a dx code of 709.8 you still cannot assign the CPT code. Remember this is NOT a neoplasm unspecified or uncertain, it is just a skin lesion until path tells you something else. There is a CPT assistant on this and the very fact that the CPT codes themselves specify benign or malignant only status, none of them say excision of lesion with unknow path results. If the path comes back benign then you can use V71.1 as your first list dx.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join